Friday, May 6, 2011

Philly








He's gone. My sweet, amazing Philly is gone and I can hardly believe it. He started losing weight a few weeks ago and today, something changed. He stopped eating and was obviously suffering. We went to the vet and found out that he had a large abdominal mass that most likely involved his liver--never a good sign. After weighing our options, we decided not to prolong his suffering and to let him go. Mia, Chris and I held him as he passed.


He had a pretty good day actually. He couldn't eat, but he sunned his belly in the grass, sniffed all of his favorite spots and spent lots of time cuddled up next to me. He layed in the playroom with the kids and walked in the yard with Mia. I know his last day was a good one. We've been telling Meredith that Philly is sick and I told her today that Daddy and I had to take him to the doctor. When Jack gets upset, Mere sings "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" for him. As she and I were talking, she sat down next to Philly and sang "Twinkle Twinkle" for him and said, "There you go Bubba. You not sick anymore." How I wish it would've worked.


Philly and I had a very special bond. He was always by my side. When I took the pregnancy test to find out that we were expecting Jack, Philly was in the bathroom. He knew before Chris did. Even though he weighed almost 90 lbs, he always found a way to curl up on my lap. There are so many wonderful memories and so many quirks that I'll miss. He came as a foster for a week and stayed for almost four years. I worry about Mia--she's lost her constant companion. It kills me that our kids won't remember Philly, but they'll know him. He loved them so much.












No comments: